While I myself have not gotten into the PTR, I have been reading some of the reports of the upcoming changes. While of course nothing is set in stone, looking at whats in the ptr currently is often a good indicator of what changes will find their way into the game.
So what are we looking at right now? First, the pets’ family modifiers are being normalized. All pets will now have +5% to Health, Armor, and Damage. Currently, tenacity pets have 10% to health and 5% to armor, so basically we will be trading 5% health for 5% damage. Personally, I think this is a set back. In general, tenacity pets need more survivability, not more damage, especially when bringing them into instances as a tank.
Especially depressing is the place that the family modifier for health sits in the health formula. It gets multiplied against Endurance Training, Base Health, Stamina buffs, the Hunters stam contribution, Great Stamina, and Blood of the Rhino. So now we lose 5% of all those benefits.
Further bad news from mania shows that pets are only receiving 30% of the hunter’s stamina. YIKES. Currently on live, hunter pets receive 45% of their hunter’s stamina. This one hurts, lets hope it gets some attention!
There is however some good news. The new expanded pet talent trees are in the game. Thunderstomp is now a mid level talent, and there are two new talents. Here is the wowhead calculator.
Wild Hunt: Currently states in wowhead: 40% of the Hunters Stamina and Attack Power are added to the pet. Ghostcrawler has already stated that the attack power portion will be 20%, not 40. The stamina portion was not mentioned. There are also rumors that the attack power portion is 20% of the current 22% scaling, or 4.4% for a total of 26.4% scaling, as opposed to a 42% scaling. Lets hope that this isnt the case! Why? because we need 40% stamina scaling to undo the current setbacks to the family modifier and the hunter stamina scaling. If we dont get the full scaling, we will be worse off even WITH this talent, by about 8-10%.
Silverback: Your growl also generates 1/2% of your pets total health. This talent is a survivability talent. Im still unsure if it is the best way to spend your talents, considering how many talents you wont have points for. Basically, your pet regenerates its total health in about 4 min 10 seconds. If your pet has 20,000 total health, you would be getting about 80 HPS from this talent. Also note that if you were to couple this with Last Stand, you would in theory gain more healing during its effect.
So what we come away with is unsure. If base hunter stamina scaling is not nerfed, and the Wild Hunt is applied how we would like, we could walk away with 114% stamina scaling. While thats amazing, there is the flipside. If base hunter scaling is nerfed, and the 40% scaling only applies to the base percentage, we are looking at a 10% loss, leaving us with roughly 50% stamina scaling.
We could really use some good stamina scaling right about now. What we really need is a buff to Grace of the Mantis, or a similar talent in the hunter tree. (I propose adding it to Improved Aspect of the Monkey) The combo of good scaling and being uncrittable would solidify pet’s ability to tank in instances, and with enough gear would allow for limited raid tanking or off tanking. I’ve got my fingers crossed.
UPDATE So it looks like the scaling is still 45% /SIGHOFRELIEF. That scared me for sure. It does look like they are still going ahead with family modifier normalization, which is bad but not devastating. So the only thing left is whether or not the stam increase is 40% on top or 40% of current (45%) scaling. I think ill ask mania to check it out for me ;)